Society needs great marketing, and great marketers!
In this personal web site and blog, I focus on the intersection of marketing and the public sector.
I believe that we are social creatures, and that living together makes us better individually and collectively. Marketing is great discipline for adding value to the society that enriches us all.
In this blog, I explore the foundations of our social impulse, explain the marketing and communications methods that can improve our communities, and showcase examples of marketing at work in the community around us. You’ll also find free tools and downloads to help you in marketing projects.
I began my professional career in 1985 as one of the first few hundred employees at a Seattle computer company called Microsoft. For 11 years I worked there as a senior technical writer, writing manager, and program manager, focused mostly on Microsoft Excel. It was a fabulous place to start in life. I learned enough that I wish Microsoft handed out diplomas.
After leaving Microsoft, I’ve focused more public sector and infrastructure opportunities.
- From 2000 to 2004, I was publisher and co-owner of The Local Planet Weekly, an alternative newsweekly in Spokane, Washington. We won numerous awards for our coverage, include national 2002 AAN awards for features, for our coverage of 9/11, and for media criticism, for our coverage of public/private finance involving the daily Spokesman-Review newspaper. Yes, we did that in Spokane.
- From 2004 to 2010, I worked for Itron, one of the leading global Smart Grid vendors. The energy industry is a fascinating world at a fascinating juncture. You’ll be seeing energy and water topics in my blog. Itron’s marketing group and approach taught me much about brand, discipline, and execution. That’s another place I feel like I earned a diploma.
- I served as Strategic Communications Manager for WestEd from 2010 to 2014. WestEd is a nationwide non-profit agency for education research and service. Here I saw the power, possibility, and missed opportunity of marketing in public and social sectors that inspired this blog.
- In 2014, I returned to the energy sector to work for Space-Time Insight, an analytics software company.
- Starting in 2017, I’m now Director of Product Marketing for Great Place to Work. We strive to make the world better by helping every organization become a great place to work. Even though I work for Great Place to Work, this blog and my comments herein are purely my own.
To learn more about me, visit my LinkedIn profile.